About Wild4 African Photo Safaris
WILD4 African Photographic Safaris is a family-owned and operated business specializing in small group photo safaris to Africa's most iconic locations.
For 17 years we were based in South Africa, in a town called Nelspruit, just 45 mins from the Kruger National Park.
In 2020, we emigrated to the beautiful Australian island state of Tasmania where we are currently based.
For our transport needs at all locations, we make use of reputable safari companies with whom we have built up a strong working relationship over a number of years. Your safety is our number one concern and we only make use of quality operators who have real experience in the safari industry.
My wife, Justyna, was born and bred in Poland and is a handy photographer herself as well as a qualified tourist guide. Justyna worked on first-class cruise liners, the world-famous Harrods in London and as a top seller for the UK's largest travel consolidator. Customer service is just one of her many strong points.
Justyna looks after the office and all the important administration of our business. We have two daughters, Molly and Jenny.
My parents, John & Ann were instrumental in helping us set up our business and we will for ever be grateful to them for their loving support and assistance over many years.
We are a family business with a sincere and genuine passion for our company and our clients.
Through our experiences, we have built a strong product that offers our clients the best opportunities to photograph African wildlife.
We feel strongly that the following principles and photographic details are crucial to the success of a photo safari:
- Quick response to clients' enquiries and personal attention to each client's travel needs
- Specialisation in small groups of only 3 to 6 photographers per tour
- Only 3 photographers per safari vehicle in South Africa and Botswana
- Only 2 photographers per safari vehicle in Kenya and Tanzania
- Careful planning of logistics to ensure maximum time in the field
- Use of locations that, through experience and over time, have consistently offered excellent photo opportunities
- Specially designed photographic PLAT4ORMS on the safari vehicles we use at all locations
- Photo tuition and guidance available on all Photo Safaris led and hosted by Stu Porter
- Regular use of the same local driver/guides, who are familiar with the needs of photographers through our training manual and who operate to our specific guidelines
- An ethical approach to wildlife photography and genuine respect for the animals we photograph and the environment they live in
Sticking to the above principles and details has been the number one reason why we have a high percentage of repeat clients and clients who approach us via word of mouth.
The Wild 4 team made my trip to South Africa a truly memorable experience. Photographing some of the orphaned captive animals at the private game reserve on the extension was a great way to start the holiday, and Stu's tuition on techniques, composition and familiarity with your gear was the foundation for the rest of the trip. In Kruger we had some wonderful sightings - including the 'Big 5' all in one day on two consecutive days! The highlights were spending 20 minutes with a leopard cub in a tree no more than 30 metres away, and on the last day watching a pride of 14 lions stalking a herd of zebra for more than an hour - just wonderful experiences! I'm sure the quality of the shots I took was infinitely better than if I'd gone on a regular safari, as the whole focus of the experience is expertly designed to maximise photographic opportunities - including only 3 photographers in the specially designed vehicle. Stu's knowledge, enthusiasm and patience were boundless, and Ann's spotting and catering skills were also priceless! I hope to visit Africa again soon, and without doubt Wild 4 will be my first option.
Greg Morgan, UK
This was my third photographic trip to Africa, and I have to say the best! Stu has great knowledge & passion for wildlife and photography that he is willing to share: I certainly learnt a lot. The setup for photography in the vehicles is extremely well thought out. There was an amazing variety of great photographic opportunities and I really enjoyed time spent with the animals, but the unexpected bonus for me was the day spent at the reptile centre (part of the extension). I am very pleased with the results! After coming away with the renewed enthusiasm for photography, I am planning to do another trip with them soon."
Helen Clarke, AUSTRALIA